Table of Contents
For selling products, physical, digital, or both, having the best eCommerce platform is important. An eCommerce Platform allows you to easily manage your store and get a great grasp of key features that are needed to increase revenue.
With over 550 eCommerce platforms out there, it’s important you make an informed decision as to which eCommerce platform is best for your business.
This article will discuss some fifteen best eCommerce platforms that are worth checking out in 2022.
Fifteen best eCommerce platforms for 2022
BigCommerce is one of the best eCommerce platforms that presents a full solution to those who uses eCommerce platform. BigCommerce is an eCommerce platform that provides you with high scalability using a quite simple solution from them. BigCommerce is proven to manage high-volume transactions seamlessly, and big brands trust it for handling sales.
- Borderless Commerce provides you with a chance to sell your products to virtually everyone everywhere.
- It can be easily integrated into the existing system for the best performance.
- The opportunity to use its array of customization options is available.
- It comes with an SEO tool that allows makes your store more optimized
- You can market your products on multiple storefronts.
- The standard plan starts at $29.95/month.
- The Plus Plan is priced at. $79.95/month.
- The Pro plan costs $299.95/month.
- It has a hosting service.
- Multiple storefronts to get your products across to your prospects and returning customers/subscribers.
- It comes with solid analytics that allows you to gain more insights into your customers’ behavior and sales.
- It provides you with an edge via improved modern technology that sets you apart
- Payments can start multiple times with no transaction fees charged.
- The themes found in BigCommerce are expensive
- No native POS is available on BigCommerce
- The hosting service can be expensive
For an exceptionally large number of eCommerce platform owners, when the name Shopify is mentioned, they think of it as the best software-as-a-service (SaaS) platform for eCommerce.
Shopify has a robust platform that comes with complementary tools and multichannel selling features and features for dropshipping.
Shopify manages all aspects of your online store up to the payment section of it. It also gives users access to an array of third-party apps and services to make the user experience fun and fulfilling.
- Its mobile app features allow access to a suite of mobile tools to efficiently manage your online business.
- It allows you to integrate your store into sales channels like Amazon, eBay, Facebook, Google, and Walmart.
- With Shop Pay, it manages your payment processing with low transaction fees
- Shopify POS for administering in-person sales.
- Shopify Fulfilment will help you get your products right into the hands of your customers.
- Basic Shopify @ $29/month.
- Shopify @ $79/month.
- Advanced Shopify @ $299/month.
There is a 10% discount for those who opt-in for the Annual plan, while there is a 20% discount for paying 2 years upfront.
- Excellent built-in marketing tools.
- Fast and reliable sites.
- This allows for an easy, smooth start to its exquisite onboarding process.
- It allows you to sell your products online or offline virtually everywhere.
- You can find customizable themes for your store.
- Shopify payments are limited to some countries.
- Navigation of multiple elements can be time-consuming and need a great of practice to get a good grasp of it.
Wix offers online store owners a chance to make them personalized to their taste. It allows the user to create an amazing site they surely will be happy to display. It is a website builder that is gaining huge momentum and adoption and has about 6% of the entire market share with more than 350,000 websites using its service. With WIX, you are assured of an upgrade to full eCommerce functionalities at an affordable price.
- It boasts over a hundred templates, promotions, product galleries, and easy order management and shipping.
- WIX automatically perfects your online store for mobile devices like iPhones and Android devices.
- It is equipped with advanced SEO tools for increased visibility of your online store.
- Unlimited fonts allow provide you the opportunity to choose from vast fonts to make your website wear a unique look.
- It has a free plan.
WIX has three (3) pricing plans for eCommerce. They are
- The Business VIP plan comes at $35 per month
- The Business Unlimited plan costs $25 per month
- The Business Basic plan costs $17 per month
- Easy to use website builder for speedy creation of websites
- The cost and pricing are very affordable and competitive
- A vast array of templates to choose from to design your website with enough flexibility
- There is a vast amount of support for users
- It has a free forever plan
- It can take a considerable time for a WIX website to load when compared to other websites
- Wix does not have a free plan for their eCommerce and business services
- To get tracking and analytics you would need to hop on a paid plan
- It has a very weak upselling capability
This a great eCommerce platform for 2022 that should be considered especially for those who are dependent on WordPress. WooCommerce is the way WordPress satisfies its users’ eCommerce urges for those who are eCommerce enthusiasts.
WooCommerce has the largest market share with 33.48% of the entire market share, and more than 2,000,000 websites installed. WooCommerce is a huge force in the eCommerce industry and their adoption keeps growing.
- It is an ideal workable option for users that already have a WordPress
- This allows you to make your WordPress site eCommerce forward seamlessly
- Easy integration with email marketing platforms
- It is arguably one of the best platforms for SEO available out there
- Heavily used by a lot of online stores
Using the basic shopping cart feature on WooCommerce is free. Hosting and added features come at prices that can be up to
- $120/year for hosting,
- $15/year for domain name registration,
- $100/year for the theme found on your site,
- $108/year for shipping,
- 2.9% plus $0.30 per transaction,
- $348/year for marketing and communications,
- Up to $79/year for SEO and
- $65/year for an SSL certificate
- They supply first-class services when it comes to delivering impressive SEO
- It offers 1-click selling apps
- Tools found on WooCommerce are highly customizable and come with extensions for printing shipping labels
- Integrate seamlessly with your email marketing platform
- Poor customer support
- You might be well versed in WordPress to effectively use WooCommerce for the best performance
- The cost of hosting, maintenance, and other associated costs can be steep
- There are still some issues surrounding its scalability
With Zyro, small business owners and those who are new to the eCommerce space can try things out first. Zyro provides users with the ability to design attractive, efficient stores with little knowledge of coding or paying for such services. This eCommerce platform comes with a drag and drop builder for site customization with easy access to free themes for designing their site.
- Zyro is very affordable and answers a big question for users working on a tight budget
- It offers a wide array of AI tools for users
- Responsive Drag and Drop builder for site customization
- The Business Plan with a $4.90 monthly cost
- Advanced Store Plan with a cost of $15.90/month
- It is affordable and highly workable for beginner and small business owners
- Items are placed in the right places, making it an extremely easy platform to use for beginners with little to no experience
- Amazing customer support that is responsive and helpful
- It has a fast load time which is an added advantage for an eCommerce store
- The limited product offers, although only a handful are in the pipeline
- Limited template options
- Enjoying all the features to your satisfaction might come at a higher cost
It is a simple, easy-to-use eCommerce platform that was originally owned by Square, popular for its payment processing and financial services. It is an eCommerce Platform to consider in 2022 because of the unique features and ease of use it provides to users.
It is an ideal place for inexperienced users and small businesses that do not need an advanced web presence
- Stores can be easily integrated with Square, Stripe, and PayPal
- Quite easy to start up with little technical ability needed
- Basic pricing is free.
- It has an intuitive drag-and-drop builder that is quite easy for beginners and online newbies
- It has a built-in marketing automation feature.
For online businesses, the prices are as follows
- The Pro Plan for Groups & Organization cost $12/month when billed annually
- The Business Plan for small businesses & stores costs $25/ month on an annual payment
- The Business Plus Plan for Power Sellers costs $38/month when billed annually
- Easy for website creation
- It is very user-friendly and supplies a relatable enjoyable user experience
- Mobile apps
- Customizable themes
- Fast load time for site
- Saves you some cost with the in-built marketing feature it comes with
- For more far-reaching support, you will have to cough up more funds
- Limited tools for bloggers
- Despite customizable themes, it still offers little in terms of customization
- There might be hitches here and there often in managing transactions
Another eCommerce platform to check out in 2022 is SquareSpace. It is also an easy-to-use platform for users without prior technical knowledge to create a website. Although Squarespace is primarily a website builder, it thrives in this water with the addition of certain eCommerce functionality.
- Shipping and logistics are taken care of by major providers like FedEx and USPS when using Squarespace
- Easy to use drag-and-drop features using pre-designed templates
- A Personal Plan: $14/month
- Business Plan: $23/month
- Basic (Online Store): $27/month
- Advanced (Online Store): $49/month
- Good customer support
- It eradicates worries about maintenance and server costs
- No transaction fees
- Great ease of use
- There are a sizable number of templates that add a professional touch to your website
- It has limited multi-channel sales
- No phone supports
- Despite its impressive performance, it is not the ideal choice for SEO and site speed
- There are only two payment integrations which are Stripe and PayPal
Ecwid is a popular eCommerce platform that is gaining more prominence with its compatibility with small businesses. Ecwid, as an eCommerce platform, is straightforward to use. Furthermore, Ecwid is a PCI-DSS validated Level 1 service provider with end-to-end data encryption to secure customer and merchant payment details
Below are some standout features that are ubiquitous for Ecwid
- Automatic updates
- Inventory tracking
- Easy checkout process
- Plug-ins for websites, product page categories, listings of up to ten products, and a host of others
- It offers great flexibility and allows users to sell across numerous sites like Amazon, eBay, Facebook, and Instagram.
- Free Plan for $0 forever
- Venture Plan for $12.50/month billed annually or $15 on a month-to-month basis
- Business Plan for $29.17/month billed annually or $35 on a month-to-month basis
- Unlimited Plans for $82.50/month billed annually or $99 on a month-to-month basis
- It has an affordable plan
- It offers a free forever plan but with limited functionalities
- It has a single click selling app
- Integrate easily with social media apps for a more direct marketing approach
- It works very effortlessly with platforms like WordPress, Drupal, Weebly
- It is easier for multi-currency selling
- No free trial for the premium plans
- Limited SEO features
- Massive overwhelming features
- Limited free plan options
If you are thinking about building an online store from scratch, Sellfy as an eCommerce store should come to mind. Sellfy makes creating an online store for your products quite easy, with cool themes and designs that fully depict your brand
- Sellfy automatically translates websites layout based on users’ geographical location with a translation plug-in
- Mobile-friendly themes that are perfected across all devices
- Upselling features to encourage more buying attitude in customers
- It has a marketing feature that allows you to track ad performance
- Integrate with payment gateways like PayPal and Stripe
- A Free Plan
- The Starter Plan costs $29/month or $22/month billed annually
- The Business Plan costs $79/per month or $59/month billed annually
- The Premium Plan costs $159/month or $119/month billed annually
The plans are cheaper when billed every two years with the starter plan at $19/month, the business plan at $49/month, and the premium plan at $99/month.
- Sellfy provides users with in-depth analytics for tracking your stores’ performance
- It is an eCommerce platform that is PCI-DSS compliant
- It has extensive integration with over one thousand tools
- Sellfy allows you to add your custom domain
- It comes with a 14-day free trial period
- Poor Google PageSpeed score
- Limited SEO capabilities
Volusion is one of the oldest eCommerce platforms we have around. It was founded in 1999 and launched in 2002, and it has helped tons of businesses go online with their products with little hassle.
It is undoubtedly best for a quick setup and an interface that is easy to use and highly user-friendly.
- It has a new Content Builder that is quite easy to use
- It is a reliable all-in-one eCommerce platform with a bunch of functionalities
- It integrates with over thirty payment gateways
- Users will be able to sell an unlimited number of products
- Personal Plan: $29/month
- Professional Plan: $79/month
- Business Plan: $299/month
- It has an in-house SEO and marketing team that is dedicated to helping businesses with digital marketing and visibility on search engines
- Easily customized and extended
- User-friendly website builder and management tools
- Responsive, attractive templates that are readily available
- Only physical products can be sold using Volusion
- Premium templates can be quite expensive
- You would have to part with some cash for an SSL certificate
- Limited option for the free trial
PrestaShop is a cloud-based and open-source eCommerce platform that gives you the overall best value. Using PrestaShop does not require technical skills. It would allow inexperienced users to hone their skills at a free cost. Although for tweaking the eCommerce platform for added functionalities, the services of a web developer would be needed. Below are some of the top features of PrestaShop:
- It currently has thirty-three add-ons for basic integrations like PayPal checkout, MailChimp email marketing, Google Ads, review add-ons, etc.
- It allows you to configure your payment methods
- You can choose a domain name
- This eCommerce platform also allows you to customize your store’s design
- With Prestashop, you get access to social analytics, cross-selling, ads, and SEO.
This is a free service that is cloud-based and open-source. All you need is to download the free downloadable version. You may have to pay for specific add-ons to enjoy more features while using the eCommerce platform. It is surely an eCommerce platform that is worth trying out in 2022.
- Strong SEO
- Very flexible
- Multiple integrations and apps are available
- Extremely easy to use
- Limited scalability
- Low-quality web designs
- To enact further tweaking of the platform, developer’s skills will be needed
- An array of add-ons makes using the platform eventually expensive.
This is a non-hosted eCommerce platform made for developers who demand a well-built powerful system that gives them room for customization. This is a platform that is complex and costs a lot to keep in the long run.
These are some of the top features that are latent in this amazing eCommerce platform
- It allows you to create an eCommerce store with minor consideration for the size of your website
- Automatic display of product information
- There is no definitive pricing plan for this eCommerce platform. You can only get a custom pricing plan that suits your business.
- Due to the relative popularity of this eCommerce platform, finding developers for tweaking purposes is easy
- It is a platform with a robust and sufficient feature needed for your store/business to excel
- There are 1-click selling apps
- It is free to start
- It is also not hosted
- There are customer support options like phone support and an online help center for technical support and other resources
- It can be a daunting task for beginners and users that are new
- Development and technical skills are needed in most cases for the user to make use of it
- For small businesses, themes can be expensive.
- It is not primarily SEO-friendly
- You might have to rely on third parties for the design as it does not offer any themes like other top eCommerce platforms
In terms of versatility when it comes to hosting services, Nexcess is the go-to platform. It is arguably the best platform for managed WooCommerce and Magento hosting. This platform also offers a thriving eCommerce platform for BigCommerce and Drupal related platforms
Using Nexcess gives users access to container add-ons, asset coaching, alerts, and all-around monitoring response.
- Web hosting solutions from dedicated servers to private servers and shared hosting
- Free migration, multiple websites with enough web space and free features as well
- PHP optimization, PHP7 support, and alert response
- PCI compliance
- A built-in CDN with twenty-two locations
- Cloud accelerator to speed up load times
- WooCommerce starts at $13.30/month
- WordPress starts at $13.30/month
- Magento starts at $34.30/month
- It supports loads of free premium plugins that ensure easy addition of features and functionality
- It has a simple easy to use interface for finding whatever you need on the platform
- The support team is always ready to help and highly resourceful.
- It is amazingly fast and can manage a high volume of transactions stress-free
- 10 PHP workers, 15GBb Storage, and 2 TB bandwidth make it dwarf what other offers
- No free domain
- No money-back guarantee on prepaid orders
- Reviewing the older support tickets opened is harder due to the lack of filters that were erstwhile present
Branchbob is an online store builder that helps you build an online store and sell your products online in a matter of minutes
- Great dashboard for product inventory, Order, and Customer Management from a single console
- You can also promote your shop directly from the platform
- Easy creation of an online store with simple steps that can even be completed via a smartphone
- It has an online store builder that is quite easy to use
- Video tutorials are available to make things more comprehensible
- This is a platform that is new and completely free to use, with no harm in trying this out for those seeking an eCommerce platform in 2022. It will not charge any transaction costs or monthly fees
- It offers multiple shipping methods and different gateways
- No code is needed
- You get to experience a demo before you continue with the platform
- With its business intelligence feature, you will be able to get a better overview of your achievements. These will be presented to you using various evaluations displayed on your dashboard
- It lacks key features like theme customization and importing data
- No integration with third-party shipping apps
Open cart is an open-source eCommerce with flexible customization. The robust administrator dashboard gives users the ability to view important metrics at a glance. OpenCart comes with multi-store capabilities that allow users to manage multiple stores from one interface. With over thirteen thousand modules and themes, OpenCart is one of the best open-source eCommerce platforms out there.
- User Access for setting advanced user privileges and split access for users and various user groups
- An admin dashboard to gain insights into your site’s performance
- Back-up and restore allows you to set up back-up and restoration points should there be a loss of data from breaches
- OpenCart allows you to sell your products online with no added fees on added product quantities
- This eCommerce platform is very SEO-friendly and increases your store’s visibility.
- This is also a free, open-source software platform
- The software is free, making it one of the eCommerce platforms to check out as the year moves on
- It supports a handful of integrations
- It offers an easy set-up
- There are multiple themes available at no cost
- It is a self-hosted platform that could become expensive. With hosting, development, and maintenance controlled individually, the stress would be significant
- I have frequent experience of slow processing at times
- Its built-in marketing and sales features have limited capabilities.
Choosing the best eCommerce platform for your business largetly depends on some key factors, and its imperative you consider these before building your eCommerce store on any of the eCommerce platforms above. Some of the factors are:
- Your business Model
- Your budget
- Mean of advertising (some are best for paid advertising and suck at SEO, while some are very good for both)
- Business growth
Shopify is the most popular and easy-to-use eCommerce platform. It is easily the best eCommerce platform.
In terms of public interest, Shopify continues to generate public attention. However, according to research by IDC worldwide digital commerce, VTEX is the fastest growing eCommerce platform.
As of April 2022, amazon.com is the most visited eCommerce site in the world.
WIX is the best all-encompassing easy-to-use eCommerce website out there, especially for beginners with no technical or web design knowledge. Yes! WIX is good for eCommerce.
A good eCommerce platform must use the right images, texts, colors, fonts, videos, and graphics to convince consumers into making an actual purchase.
Some of the best eCommerce platforms for small businesses are;
The best eCommerce platform for startups include;
While not the cheapest eCommerce solution available, Shopify offers a platform that simplifies selling and provides users with sales improvement tools. With good support and an ecosystem, the headache of running online stores is eliminated. Shopify does worth every penny the users pay.
Yes. Shopify is a flexible solution for both beginners and experienced professionals.