Ever since it was fully fleshed out as a concept, digital marketing has become the best way for any individual or company to break into new markets and expand their customer base. In 2022, companies spend billions on marketing, building strategies that can help them easily expand their market share and break into different sectors.
Digital marketing today has become so essential that no company can seemingly grow without it. With the potential to transform how we all do business and what we focus more on when acquiring customers, it has become a necessity across the board.
Just as well, the digital marketing landscape is incredibly dynamic. Digital marketing trends, strategies, and technologies are ever-changing, and it is important for anyone looking to incorporate them to be ready for these changes.
But, just how big is digital marketing today? What are the numbers that show its significance to company operations? In this article, we’ll provide a data-based assessment of the digital marketing landscape. These digital marketing statistics have been vetted and confirmed, and they show just how important digital marketing will be for any company – regardless of the scale, industry, location, or any other metric.
Table of Contents
Search Engine Optimization (SEO) Statistics
SEO is the practice of carefully curating content and improving the quality and quantity of traffic being driven to a mobile app or website organically. The entire point of SEO is to make your website more visible on search engines – especially Google, which, according to statistics, controls about 92% of all online searches globally.
Some notable digital marketing statistics in relation to SEO include:
- 69% of all digital marketers invested heavily in SEO in 2021 (HubSpot State of Marketing Report, 2021)
- Keyword rankings and organic traffic are the primary metrics for measuring the success of an SEO strategy. Over 50% of marketers use them (HubSpot State of Marketing Report, 2021)
- Over 70% of marketers use strategic keywords to boost their SEO campaigns.
- Google is the largest search engine by far, and it uses over 800 unique Search Engine Results Page (SERP) features (SEOClarity, 2020)
- The average click-through rate (CTR) from image results on the Google search engine is just 0.21%. Note that this changes based on the industry (SEOClarity, 2020)
- Social media is the top source of SEO traffic – followed closely by websites (HubSpot State of Marketing Report, 2021)
- About 25% of global companies invest in mobile optimization as an SEO tactic (HubSpot Research, 2020)
- 64% of all SEO marketers believe that a website should be optimized for mobile devices (HubSpot Blog Research, 2021)
- On average, each American household is filled with at least ten connected devices (Statista, 2020)
- Mobile devices generated about 58% of all website traffic globally (Statista, 2022)
- Since 2017, mobile web traffic has seen an increasing share of all global web traffic (Statista, 2022)
Content Marketing Statistics
Next on our list of digital marketing statistics, we’ll examine stats related to content marketing.
Content marketing focuses on developing and sharing relevant written content. The content can be filled with rich media like infographics and images as well, all of which contribute to its readability. It is one of the most prominent digital marketing trends, and the stats below will inform you about how content marketers use their skills to solve several of their audiences’ pain points.
- Content marketing is a strategy being used by 82% of all marketers (HubSpot State of Marketing Report, 2021)
- The most widely accepted measurement of content marketing success is total sales (HubSpot State of Marketing Report, 2021)
- Web traffic is one of the most important metrics to measure the success of content marketing (HubSpot State of Marketing Report, 2020)
- 66% of content marketers expect to see their budgets increase in 2022 compared to 2021 (Content Marketing Institute, 2021)
- Today, most marketers create content for different audience segments. Most commonly, they create content for at least three segments (HubSpot State of Marketing Report, 2020)
- About 40% of marketers say that they hold content marketing in a very high esteem when building their content strategies (HubSpot State of Marketing Report, 2020)
- Business-to-business (B2B) brands plan to invest most in video content in 2022 (Content Marketing Institute, 2021)
- Marketers used video channels to distribute their content the most in 2021. It is followed by blogs, images, and infographics (HubSpot State of Marketing Report, 2021)
- 87% of markets have reported surges in website visits since they implemented video content (Wyzowl, 2021)
- 48% of companies with content marketing strategies use blogs (HubSpot Blog Research, 2021)
Social Media Statistics
In terms of pure reach, hardly any digital marketing channel comes close to social media. Billions of people use social media globally, meaning that it is one of the most critical digital marketing trends out there. Any marketer who can understand how it works will find significant success in growing their brand and customer base.
We’ve curated some important statistics that can help you better understand how to leverage this tool to your advantage:
- Total social media users are expected to reach 3.4 billion by 2023 (Statista, 2020)
- Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter are the most popular social media channels for marketers (HubSpot, 2020)
- Facebook is the most applied content distribution channel for most marketers (HubSpot State of Marketing Report, 2021)
- Facebook has over 2.0 billion monthly active users (Statista, 2022)
- 99% of Facebook users access the platform on mobile (Statista, 2022)
- LinkedIn is the largest B2B display advertiser in the United States with 32.3% of the market (eMarketer, 2021)
- 80% of LinkedIn users drive business decisions (LinkedIn, 2021)
- Instagram has over 500 million daily active users who use its Stories feature daily (Instagram, 2021)
- Instagram is the second-best-performing social media platform for digital marketers (HubSpot State of Marketing Report, 2021)
- Instagram’s users spend about 30 minutes on the platform daily on average (eMarketer, 2020)
- 82% of B2B content marketers used Twitter to improve their organic traffic in 2021 (Content Marketing Institute, 2021)
- 48% of Twitter users turn to the platform to get their news (Statista, 2022)
- Snapchat spend an average of 31 minutes on the platform daily (BroadBand Search, 2022)
Video Marketing Statistics
As explained earlier, video is one of the most effective channels through which marketers can get their message out there and reach new people. With smartphones and other devices having impressive video capabilities today, this is also one of the easiest digital marketing trends to implement – regardless of your business type or industry.
Here are some important statistics related to video marketing:
- In 2020, most videos created were less than one minute long (Wistia, 2021)
- 46% of marketers who use short-form videos believe them to be effective (HubSpot Blog Research, 2021)
- 31% of global marketers incorporate short-form videos into their operations (HubSpot Blog Research, 2021)
- Short-form videos have an average engagement rate of 54% (Wistia, 2021)
- YouTube is the top platform for digital marketers to build communities. It is also the second most visited website in the world (HubSpot Blog Research, 2021)
Email Marketing Statistics
In terms of pure reach, Email marketing ranks high on the list of digital marketing trends – just like social media. Billions of people have Email addresses and use them for different purposes. This provides a broad potential customer base for you to reach out to and make sales.
The following digital marketing statistics shed proper light on Emails:
- About 80% of marketers have seen a jump in Email engagement (HubSpot, 2020)
- 40% of consumers claim to have at least 50 unread Emails (Sinch, 2020)
- 4.5 billion people are expected to have Email addresses by 2024 (Statista, 2021)
- Email marketing is seen by marketers are the second most effective medium through which brand awareness is built (Campaign Monitor, 2019)
- Email marketing has the highest level of return on investment for businesses (Campaign Monitor, 2019)
- The industry average click-through rate (CTR) is 2.13% (GetResponse, 2020)
- Friday is usually the potentially highest day for Email deliverability (Campaign Monitor, 2020)
- Audience segmentation is one of the most effective tactics for improving EMail deliverability (HubSpot State of Marketing Report, 2021)
- Marketers who segment their Emails have seen up to a 700% increase in revenue (Campaign Monitor, 2019)
- Mobile-friendly Emails are among the biggest tactics through which marketers optimize their results (HubSPot, 2020)
Lead Generation Statistics
Lead generation describes the process by which your company attracts and converts customers. It encompasses the entire sequence of getting people to build interest in your brands, products, or services. And, it can be a very important part of every customer’s journey to becoming loyal to you.
The following lead generation digital marketing statistics will help you to understand how marketers use it to optimize their performance and convert more customers:
- 76% of companies use lead generation automation in 2021 (HubSpot State of Marketing Report, 2021)
- 47% f marketers employ bots in their lead generation efforts (HubSpot State of Marketing Report, 2021)
- Over 60% of marketers have seen a rise in their customer acquisition costs (CACs) in the past five years (HubSpot, 2020)
- 52% of marketers use attribution reporting (HubSpot, 2020)
- 53% of marketers claim that Email is the most effective channel for early-stage lead generation (Cleverly, 2022)
Digital Advertising Statistics
Great advertising attracts customers like sugar attracts ants. When done properly, advertising will help to improve your brand awareness and identity, attract customers, and boost your revenue.
The statistics below will help you to understand how media ads work for businesses and customers:
- Mobile ad spending is expected to exceed $240 billion by 2022 (Statista, 2021)
- The United States is the largest market for digital ad spending – followed by China (Statista, 2019)
- 33% of marketers use paid advertising to boost their brand engagement (HubSpot, 2020)
- Advertisers use ad placement and audience targeting to boost their optimization efforts (HubSpot, 2020)
- Viewers are more likely to use YouTube to find more information about a brand, product, or service that they see (eMarketer, 2020)
Marketing Technology Statistics
Technology affects just about everything you do from a business perspective. And when it comes to marketing, technology also plays a critical role. It determines your reach channels, how your audience consumes your content, and their interactions with your brand.
The statistics below can help you to find the best ways to connect with your customers and audience through different software and application channels:
- WhatsApp messenger has approximately two billion monthly active users (Statista, 2022)
- 28% of customers resolve operational disputes using messaging (Zendesk, 2020)
- 33% of marketers invest in some form of mobile web design (HubSpot Blog Research, 2020)
- 91% of customers hate being forced to install apps – especially when they don’t trust them (Forbes, 2021)
- Customers are 35 times more likely to open mobile messages than Emails (Sinch, 2020)
- In 2021, 35% of marketers confirmed using augmented reality (AR) and virtual reality (VR) in their marketing campaigns. Of those marketers, 42% confirmed plans to increase their investments this year (HubSpot Blog Research, 2021)
- 58% of marketers who use experiential marketing – including AR and VR – believe it t be effective (HubSpot Blog Research, 2021)
Digital marketing is a critical function for any company. As the business landscape becomes even more competitive, companies need to find innovative ways to reach more customers and improve their spheres of influence.
We’ve outlined some of the most important digital marketing statistics that can help you with the proper insights as you look towards starting a digital marketing strategy.